Household Hazardous Waste


Cudjoe Key Transfer Station, MM21.5, Blimp Road:

HHW: First and third Wednesdays of each month
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
E-Waste: Monday through Saturday
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Long Key Transfer Station, MM68:

HHW: First and third Fridays of each month
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
E-Waste: Monday through Saturday
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Key Largo:

Corner of Atlantic Avenue and Homestead Avenue (Behind Walgreens)
E-Waste and HHW: Second and fourth Wednesdays of each month
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Key Largo Transfer Station, Card Sound Road, CR 905:


Appointment Only (call 305-745-4307)


Monday through Saturday
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Please Note: Key Largo Recycling Facility located at 300 Magnolia Street is Closed

What is considered Household Hazardous Waste?

Household hazardous wastes are products often found in your garage, sheds, storage areas, or under your kitchen sink. They are corrosive, flammable, reactive, or toxic. These chemicals can contaminate our drinking water as well as Monroe County’s sensitive ecosystem. It is incredibly important to dispose these chemicals properly.

Household Hazardous Waste:

  • Paints
  • Stains
  • Strippers
  • Wood preservatives
  • Roof tar and patching compounds
  • Adhesives
  • Putty and caulk
  • Auto/marine maintenance/care products
  • Fiberglass and epoxy resins
  • Solvents
  • Hydraulic fluids
  • Anti-freeze
  • Waste oil
  • Corrosives (muriatic acid, lye, etc.)
  • Pesticides, Fertilizers, and Weed Killers/Herbicides
  • Drain cleaners
  • Pool Cleaning products
  • Fluorescent/CFL light bulbs
  • Waste containing mercury such as some light bulbs and thermometers
What is Electronic waste (E-Waste)?

Some electronics contain poisonous chemicals that can be toxic to both humans and the environment. Recycling electronic waste properly prevents these chemicals from escaping into the environment. It also allows materials to be reused and re-engineered for new and innovative products.

 Electronic Waste (E-Waste):

Examples of e-waste include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Computers
  • Printers
  • Televisions
  • Cellular phones
  • VCR tapes
  • Records
  • Floppy discs

Special Note: Items containing refrigerants are not considered E-Waste, they are appliances.


Monroe County recycles all rechargeable batteries including:

  • Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd)
  • Small Sealed Lead Acid (SSLA/Pb)
  • Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH)
  • Nickel Zinc (Ni-Zn)
  • Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)
  • Cell phone batteries
  • Drill Batteries
  • Laptop batteries

Used Oil:

There is no charge for disposing used oil. However, Monroe County limits the size of each individual container to 5 gallons and a total of 25 gallons per visit. Please contact EMC Oil Corp at 305-477-7497 for quantities larger than 25 gallons.

Waste Not Accepted At Any Location:

Radioactive: Contact FDEP 800-320-0519

Ammunition/Flares: Please contact Monroe County Sheriff’s Office

Medications: Please contact Monroe County Sheriff’s Office

Sharps: Please follow the guidelines for proper handling.

Safe Packing Tips for transporting Household Hazardous Waste:

The goal of Monroe County’s household hazardous waste program is to prevent injury and harm to the environment as well as human life. Certain combinations of household hazardous waste can produce harmful chemical reactions therefore, if handled improperly; residents can expose themselves to harmful vapors or reactions during transportation. Below are some guidelines to keep everyone safe.

  1. Organization is the first step to keeping everyone safe. In order to prevent reactions, keep similar products together and segregate unlike materials.
  2. Make sure containers are tightly sealed.
  3. Place materials in a box to prevent and contain leaks or spills.
  4. If a container is leaking, place into a larger container or a sealed zip lock bag.
  5. Label materials that are not in their original containers or that have lost their original label.
  6. Transport containers in the trunk of your car or the bed of a pickup truck away from passengers. To prevent bulbs from crushing in transport, secure or remove other items from trunk/ truck bed.
  7. Fluorescent lamps can easily break. The best way to transport them is in their original packaging. If not in original package, use painters tape to group tubes together and wrap with any type of protective padding. Loose compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) should be wrapped in padding, such as paper towels. Do not pack CFLs in the same container with heavy items such as batteries.
  8. For your safety, please transport flammable liquids like gasoline in DOT approved containers. Always transport flammable liquids either in the trunk of your car or secured in the bed of your truck.

Please Note: For safety purposes and to be in compliance with Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, transporting hazardous waste may not exceed 25 gallons or 220 Ibs. Monroe County permits multiple trips.

Hazardous Waste Fees:

Residential Fees:

Monroe County no longer charges residents to dispose of their household hazardous waste, including e-waste, gasoline, and CFL light bulbs.

Commercial Fees:

Fluorescent and CFL Bulbs:
$0.50 per bulb

Gasoline/ Oily water/ Antifreeze:
$0.78 per gallon

E-Waste: There is a $6.18 minimum charge.  Waste over 100lbs is charged at  $0.06/Ib.

All other Hazardous waste: There is a  $12 minimum charge.  Waste over 20lbs is charged at $0.60/lb.