Many canals do not meet the State’s minimum water quality criteria and are a potential source of nutrients and other contaminants to near shore waters designated as Outstanding Florida Waters. Implementation of waste water treatment and storm water management systems will reduce loadings to the canals but will not completely eliminate the impaired water quality conditions. A Canal Management Master Plan is needed to develop a prioritization for canal restoration and develop feasible strategies to improve the water quality in the artificial canals in the Florida Keys. The county is developing the Master Plan, and is performing extensive field work, to better understand the water quality conditions of every canal in the county. This includes the canals in the municipalities.
The County BOCC has also approved moving forward with a series of canal restoration demonstration projects. The results will be used to further define restoration costs and for information in future grant applications to state and federal sources.
The Canal Advisory Committee meetings are noticed in the Florida Administrative Register. Access the FAR notices.
- April 11, 2016 BOCC Canal Workshop
- April 11, 2016 BOCC Canal Workshop Presentations
- Canal Outreach Presentation
- Poster Board on Organic Removal Demo Projects
- Poster Board on Backfilling Demo Project
- Poster Board on Air Curtain Demo Projects
- Three Best Management Practice Documents:
- Islamorada Canal Video
- March 12, 2015 Canal Public Outreach Meeting
- CEI Reports
FIU Water Quality Monitoring Project for Demonstration of Canal Remediation Methods Florida Keys:
Data from FIU's water quality monitoring program of the demonstration canals in unincorporated Monroe County and the Village of Islamorada.
Data from FIU's seagrass monitoring program of the demonstration canals in unincorporated Monroe County and the Village of Islamorada.
Canal Restoration Sub-Committee Minutes and Related Topics:
Attendance & Comments:
Technical Information and Presentations:
- Dissolved Oxygen Fact Sheet
- Nutrients Fact Sheet
- Hurricane Irma Marine Debris Update - February 23, 2018
- Canal Restoration Project Updates - February 23, 2018
- Eden Pines Canal 278 Evaluation Report – April 2017
- Julie Espy DEP Presentation April 10, 2017
- Alternative Technologies Organic Sediment Report June 2016
- Alternative Technologies for Water Quality Improvements Report June 2016
- Canal Restoration Project Updates January 11, 2017
- DEP - FL. Keys Canals Restoration January 11, 2017
- November 14, 2016 BOCC Canal Presentations
- Updates on Canal Restoration Programs in Monroe County 7-12-13
- Updates on Canal Restorations in Monroe County 10-16-13
- Canal Management Master Plan – Phases 1 and 2, 10-16-13
- Hydrographic / Bathymetric Surveys of KeysCanals
- Canal Depth Glossary
- Canal Restoration Demonstration Report
- Waterways Episode 269: Big Cypress National Preserve and Keys Canal Clean-up
- Canal Images - Ideal Quality
- Updates on Canal Restoration Demonstration Projects, 1-31-14
- Canal Restoration Advisory Committee Update, 7/15/14
- Sediment Characterization Report, 1-30-14
- Boat Cleaning Fact Sheet
- Fish Waste Management
- Waterfront Property Owners Guide
Homeowner Questionnaire on Canals:
In November 2012, Monroe County, in association with AMEC, was awarded an EPA grant to complete a Canal Management Master Plan for the entire Keys. The effort is underway and is scheduled for completion by September 2013.
The management plan will prioritize the water quality problems in all of the Keys canals and provide recommendations for appropriate remedial measures for each canal. The Master Plan will be a tool for all Keys managers to assist in planning and budgeting for canal water quality improvements. You can assist in the effort by completing the Homeowner Questionnaire.
- Phase I Canal Management Master Plan (CMMP) Report
- Power Point Presentation of Phase I CMMP
- Aerial Photograph of Jolly Roger Estates showing culvert locations
- Project Descriptions of Organic Removal Canal Restorations
- EPA Grant for Phase II CMMP
- Media Articles: Florida Specifier, News-Barometer, and KeysNet.com
- Monroe County Stormwater Management Master Plan (SMMP)
- Florida Keys Reasonable Assurance Document (2011 revision)
- Support letter from U.S. Representative Joe Garcia for Canal/Stormwater
- Support letter from Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary
View Canal Restoration Data Files With Google Earth:
1.) You will need to download Google Earth. It's Free.
2.) You will need to download the data files that are in .KMZ format. Chrome or Firefox users can click the links below, and the .kmz file will download. I.E. users will have to click the links to download, change the file type from "Windows Zip" to "All Files" and append a ".KMZ" to the end of the file name to successfully download the file in the proper format.
3.) Install Google Earth. Instructions
4.) Double Click the .KMZ data file to open it, or launch Google Earth and open the .KMZ data files.