Florida Keys Transportation Coordination Committee
The Monroe County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) approved a resolution in July 2019 to create the Florida Keys Transportation Coordination Committee. The committee will study and research traffic issues and create formal recommendations for the governing bodies of the five municipalities and the BOCC.
The committee will be made up of six elected officials, one from each municipality and one from the BOCC. State and regional transportation officials and city and county staff will work with the committee to help make recommendations and answer questions. The committee will discuss enhancing public transportation, increasing intercounty trips for added convenience, and promotion of services to out-of-town visitors, as well as bring other ideas to be considered.
“Any improvements done to the U.S.1 corridor will help the entire island chain,” said Monroe County Commissioner David Rice, who brought the resolution forward. “Something needs to be done to make sure we have a convenient and safer highway.”
According to data collected for the 2020 strategic plan, traffic is one of the top concerns of Monroe County citizens.
Monroe County is in the process of preparing a Transportation Master Plan that will provide future direction for US-1 within Monroe County. The primary objective of this study is to identify transportation needs, develop goals/objectives, and develop an action plan to meet those goals. The action plan will identify potential short-term solutions (1-5 years), mid-term (6-10 years), and long-term solutions (10-20 years). These solutions may include roadway, signal, and signage/marking improvements to address traffic issues and/or multi-modal solutions addressing the needs of pedestrians, bicyclists, and public transit.
The primary goal of this meeting is to gain input from locals and visitors on transportation issues. Your feedback is vital in helping develop the Transportation Master Plan so we can make cruising through the Keys safe and enjoyable for all.
US-1 Transportation Master Plan
- Transportation Master Plan Website
- Transportation Master Plan Scope of Services
- Monroe County Transportation Master Plan Public Outreach Meeting - September 24, 2020
- Monroe County Transportation Master Plan Public Outreach Meeting - November 12, 2020
- Monroe County Transportation Master Plan Public Outreach Meeting - July 14, 2021
Previously Recorded Meetings
Previously recorded meetings can be found on Monroe County Television OnDemand by searching "FKTCC."
- MCTV Link
- US 1 Level of Service Task Force Meeting #1 - November 10, 2020
- Florida Keys Transportation Coordination Committee Meeting - December 04, 2020
- US 1 Level of Service Task Force Meeting #2 - January 06, 2021
- US 1 Level of Service Community Meeting - January 07, 2021
- US 1 Level of Service Task Force Meeting #3 - January 21, 2021
- Florida Keys Transportation Coordination Committee Meeting - March 05, 2021
- Florida Keys Transportation Coordination Committee Meeting - June 04, 2021
|David Rice||Monroe County||Boccdis4@monroecounty-fl.gov|
|Mary Lou Hoover||Key Westfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kimmeron Lisle||Key Colony Beachemail@example.com|
If you are a person with a disability who needs special accommodations in order to participate in meeting proceedings, please contact the County Administrator’s Office, by phoning 305-292-4441, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., no later than five (5) calendar days prior to the scheduled meeting; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call "711."